Student Safety Quick Links
WSU Police: 911 for emergencies, (509) 335-8548 for non-emergencies
Student Safety Resource Guide
Washington State University maintains records of crime statistics for the last three academic years in accordance with the "Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act" (originally the Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990). It is a federal law that requires institutions of higher education in the United States to disclose campus security information including crime statistics for campus and the surrounding areas, maintenance of a daily crime log as well as providing timely notification and warnings of certain types of crime in the university community. WSU also maintains and publishes campus fire statistics as required by the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008.
Emergency Blue Light Phones are located across campus to provide a way for someone to request emergency services. The phones can be identified by a blue light. Pressing the emergency button on the phone connects directly to the Whitcom 911 Communications Center. Describe the emergency to the operator and emergency services will be dispatched to the location. Every call placed from a blue light phone is responded to by a WSU police officer.
The Office of Emergency Management develops and administers a comprehensive emergency management program to encompass the main WSU campus, as well as regional campuses, research stations and sites throughout the state. OEM also provides information on the following:
- WSU's emergency planning and procedures to ensure campus safety
- Where to sign up for emergency notifications and alerts
- Emergency preparedness resources for staff, students and parents
Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) is a non-academic service department dedicated to promoting and supporting the university's efforts to protect human health, safety and the environment. EH&S with the administration, faculty, staff and students develops and implements WSU's safety policies and procedures to establish and maintain a safe and healthy university community. EH&S provides consultation and services in the area of public health, air and water quality, worker health and safety and chemical waste disposal and clean up.
The Dean of Students Office at Washington State University has partnered with the Office of the Dean of Students at the University of Idaho to provide a low-cost, safe and convenient transportation option for students traveling to southern Idaho and Portland, Oregon for fall, winter and spring breaks.
The Office of Civil Rights Compliance & Investigations (CRCI) seeks to integrate principles of equal employment opportunity, affirmative action, fairness and equality into all academic and employment activities and practices throughout Washington State University. To meet that objective, CRCI:
- Enhances the human rights education of all WSU students, faculty and staff by developing innovative and interdisciplinary programs, trainings and activities
- Seeks to ensure all WSU employment and recruitment practices comply with state and federal equal employment opportunity and affirmative action mandates
- Assesses, develops and implements WSU's affirmative action plan in compliance with state and federal regulations
- Reviews and investigates all complaints of discrimination, discriminatory harassment, sexual harassment and sexual misconduct and advises faculty, staff and students on appropriate management of such issues
- Aims to enhance WSU's academic and organizational effectiveness through proactive assessment of workplace and classroom climate issues, development and implementation of action plans and climate monitoring
- Work closely with professionals in the fields of law enforcement, human resources and conflict resolution to address individual and university concerns and act as an information resource for state and federal agencies
Transportation Services seeks to help get people where they want to be as courteously, safely and efficiently as possible by:
- Promoting and providing transportation options
- Maintaining the parking infrastructure and the unobstructed flow of traffic
- Managing parking facilities and parking spaces responsively and fairly
- Enforcing parking rules predictably and fairly
- Providing host services to the campus community
- Maintaining a well-trained, sensitive staff
- Maximizing fiscal resources
The WSUPD seek to cultivate an atmosphere which supports the educational process and promotes academic and personal achievement and community prosperity. WSUPD officers patrol the WSU Pullman campus 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Some of the programs and services provided by WSUPD:
- Police Records - Daily crime log and annual security report
- Lost and Found
- Bias Hotline
- Cougar Security Escort Service
- Bicycle and Electronic Device Registration
- Emergency Blue Light Telephones
- Firearm storage
- Police Corps Program
- Active Shooter training
- Traffic Control
- Crime prevention information and presentations
The WSU Center for Community Standards fosters a developmental approach to student behaviors, provides support and guidance to the University community and promotes WSU values and expectations. Through the Standards of Conduct for Students, Cougs hold themselves to the highest standards of ethics, integrity and accountability. Services provided include assisting students in understanding the university expectations as well as their rights and responsibilities as members of the community. The office also conducts individual and student educational programming. Programs are designed to help students realize their educational goals by providing opportunities to develop critical thinking and leadership skills.
WSUPD hires students to serve as Police Cadets in the Police Corps Program. A Police Cadet is a WSU student working as a volunteer for the WSUPD. Cadets are non-commissioned, uniformed members of the WSUPD who work with commissioned police professionals who provide supervision, training and direction. The Cadet is a support person without regular police arrest powers.